Chergui's Child


Loved this book. In fact this is the second book by the author that I have read. And yes, there is a complete different treatment. 

The plot explores the bond shared by a mother and her daughter akin to Daughters of the Lake. But the similarity ends there. The essence of this poignant story is the journey a mother undertakes to find her lost child, a child whose existence was kept hidden by her own mother. I wish I could say more but that would mean spoiling a beautiful narrative. Read it to believe it.

Jane's narration is really powerful in this story. She has brought out the yearning of a mother for her lost child in a manner that would tug your heart strings. I cried with the protagonist, I laughed with her and in the end felt really happy for her. The imageries are as powerful as the narrative. It was as if  I was part of a story where I could do nothing except be a mute spectator. Felt really desperate. Hats off to you Jane for a writing that made me be a part of it.

The story belongs to Olivia and her journey of self-discovery, her journey as a mother. Love has lots of variations but the love of a mother for her child surpasses all kinds. Add to it the pain and sense of loss and you have an emotion that is beyond expression in simple language. At the same time, the reasoning put forth by Olivia's mother for hiding the truth has a familiar ring to it. There are many mothers who would do so to protect their unmarried pregnant daughter from societal ridicule. The antagonist in this story is actually circumstances and motives.

To sum up, my journey along with Olivia to find the Chergui's child has been a beautiful reading experience. It is one that I will revert back to when I feel low because it is filled with hope. Hope for a better tomorrow, hope that there is always a silver lining on a dark cloud. A truly must read.

P.S - Jane, loved this story as it helped me embark on a journey of self-discovery as well...way to go girl!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Tainted Lionheart

Nina's Memento Mori

Secret Magic: Evie Everyday Witch